A number of Eco-Home options are available and new designs will continue to be created.
Urban Infill Eco-Home – the YIMBY (Yes In My Back-Yard)
Triple Bottom Line
- Small footprint (10m x7.8 m) infill section with minimal planning, regulatory, infrastructure costs.
- Minimal or zero power bills, and rent at 25% of household income.
- Affordable inner-city housing, where labour demand is greatest.
Social / Demographic
- “YIMBY” 2 storey is a 3 bedroom dwelling for two adults with several children, depending on ages – bedrooms provide private space, while upstairs has ‘elbow-room’ for congenial mixed-age living.
- The bedrooms, laundry and carport comprise the ground floor, there is a mezzanine bathroom, the upper storey open-plan lounge and kitchen/dining area is 32.6m2, with outside deck of 21.2m2
- 360° choice of external alignment on site for optimum access/egress, natural light, views, location of solar panels and micro wind turbine options for hot water and battery-charging for appliances and car (so minimal transport costs), reversible meter to power grid, reverse cycle air conditioner.
- Separating toilet, runoff rainwater and grey water and kitchen waste recycling, minimize dependence on reticulation infrastructure.
- High percentage of indigenous, sustainable (and recyclable) materials, including insulation.